Friday, August 19, 2005

Why are healing professionals so difficult to heal?

everyone i work with is crazy.
this would be ok if i was talking about the clients. but im not.

now, by the nature of my work i am used to being around all sorts of very complex and multifarious individuals, (adolescents mostly) with sometimes upwards of 10 to 15 previous or current mental health diagnoses. there are eight things that i have come to expect and acknowledge about my workplace:

1) there will always be at least one crisis/conflict at any given moment.
2) human action is never as easy to explain as antecedent and result - people have layers - maltreatment and trauma create a multitude too hard to disentangle and categorize. aka - i will never fully understand what is happening around me.
3) most of my plans will be thwarted.
4) the stories that create individuals are also the ones which destroy them.
5) i cannot (and will not) fix most things.
6) i will cry and i will laugh - and both will bring me to some higher conciousness.
7) i will get spit on, things will get stolen, my things will get broken, someone will flash me, & someone will verbally abuse me.
8) i will cry and i will laugh and each will lead me to some higher form of consciousness both about myself and the world around me.

nothing in my personal life is ever that predictable.

so i guess it makes sense that when all of my collegues meet - we go into crisis (since thats about all that we know 10 hrs a day 5 days a week). but this is not any kind of crisis - this is what we have come to call 'disfunctional politeness'. crisis in a meeting of psychologists, clinical social workers, and art therapists is quiet. i have come to realize that i much prefer crisis that is loud and in your face and which may end up with the mental image of a 14 year old's breasts in my face...but i digress.

Disfunctional Politeness is in effect, nine people in a board room feeling angry, frustrated, and confused - talking around subjects instead of about them...take it from me -its frankly enough to make your head implode. i guess thats the problem with intellect and cognitive ability that is not geared towards socio-pathic endeavors. when intellect is confronted with crisis it gets silent. and angry silence is WAY worse than angry loudness. in the boardroom noone tells you that they hate the way you sent that e-mail or that your a drama queen and get over yourself. instead they say they love the way you can highlight what is brewing under the surface in an electronic note....what the fuck do you do with this? well, i will tell you... you ignore it. silently...you let it fester...until one day you crack and cry for no apparent reason because some kid stole your palm pilot broadcast all the numbers of the therapists around the campus and is going to sell it for drugs...ahh...back to the everyday.... i love predictability - at least it lets out the tension.

so - in sum - this is a message to all those who ponder my treatment meanderings...dont be worried about the kids who steal your car, the kids who graffitti your walls, or the kids who verbally abuse you on the street - worry about their therapists...silently festering and brewing in unresolved conflict...

2 Comments:

Blogger Labris said...

Amen -- give me sturm und drang over frosty silence any day of the week.

Good post, btw.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Candis said...

Sounds remarkably (and eerily) similar to how members of my family speak to each other...

*shiver*

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home